Friday, November 14, 2008

I'm a Pill Bug- Nonfiction: Informational

I'm a Pill Bug is an informational children's story about pill bugs. I did not know what a pill bug was when I first got the story. I soon found out that pill bug is the correct name for what I have always know to be "rollie pollies". This story provides a lot of information these interesting creatures from a pill bug's perspective. I had no idea that they eat concrete and their shells after shedding them, are related to crabs and shrimp, or hibernated in the winter. I think that this would be a great book for a science experiment. At the end of the story, the pill bug tells how to keep one as a pet for awhile. This could be done in a classroom after the story is read. The students could go outside and collect some pill bugs to observe for a little while. I think that young students would have a lot of fun with seeing what the pill bugs would eat and how they would react to their new environment. I have a feeling that a lot of them would have had previous experiences with pill bugs, but not know most of the information that the book provides about them.

No comments: