Sunday, November 23, 2008

The Mitten- Illustrator Study

The Mitten is a story that I have loved ever since I was a small child. It used to be one of my very favorite books that my mother would read to me. A lot of this had to do with the fact that I loved the illustrations in the book. It is a story about a boy named Nicki who loses his mitten in the snow. The animals of the forest find the mitten and they wander in one by one. The best part of the story is the borders that Jan Brett is so famous for. The border of this story is Nicki wandering through the woods with no idea that he has even lost his mitten. It is almost as if there are two stories in one because we can watch Nicki and watch as the animals pile into the mitten. The illustrations make the pages look as though they are pictures taken of actual animals. They are so detailed that just looking at them makes you instantly feel that you are feeling the change in temperature from the cold winter air to the inside of the warm mitten.

No comments: